A1 Landscape Design & Construction provides high-quality artificial turf and grass solutions for Temecula, CA and the surrounding areas. Contact us today to get an estimiate.
Why Choose Artificial Turf?
Since the early 1990s, the use of synthetic grass in the more arid Western states of the United States has moved rapidly beyond athletic fields to residential and commercial landscaping. This trend has been driven by the dramatic improvement in the quality and variety of available synthetic grasses, the reduced cost of maintenance and care compared to natural grass, and the realization that artificial lawns can be a significant water conservation measure in areas where water usage is a concern.
Artificial grass goes by many names: synthetic grass, synthetic lawns, synthetic turf, artificial turf, fake turf, fake grass, putting green, synthetic putting greens, artificial putting greens, home turf, astro turf/Astroturf. Whatever term you use, artificial grass gives you years of lush looking, maintenance free landscaping and leaves you time and money to do things you really enjoy.
Advantages of Artificial Turf
- Artificial turf can be a better solution when the environment is particularly hostile to natural grass. An arid environment or one where there is little natural light are examples.
- Artificial turf can withstand significantly more use than natural grass and can therefore be used much more frequently. This allows sports ground owners to generate more income from their facilities.
- Ideal for holiday homes when maintenance of lawns is not practical. It is also a solution for elderly home-owners who find the upkeep of lawns too much hard work.
- Suitable for roof gardens and swimming pool surrounds.
- Some artificial turf systems allow for the integration of fiber-optic fibers into the turf. This would allow for lighting or advertisements to be directly embedded in a playing surface, or runway lighting to be embedded in artificial landing surfaces for aircraft.
- Some artificial turf systems allow for the integration of durafill. Durafill is the latest in infill technology. It is pet and eco-friendly, withstanding animal urine and elements, preventing the growth of spores and bacteria within the surface. It also prevents degradation throughout time and does not need multiple applications. It does not overheat in the sun, preventing overheating of the actual surface. It does not contain zinc, heavy metals, or silica dust.
Disadvantages of Artificial Turf
- Abrasion injuries caused by artificial turf have been linked to a higher incidence of MRSA infections.
- Some artificial turf requires infill such as silicon sand and/or granulated rubber made from recycled car tires. This material may carry heavy metals which can leach into the water table.
- Periodic disinfection is required as pathogens are not broken down by natural processes in the same manner as natural turf. Despite this, recent studies suggest certain microbial life is less active.
- Friction between skin and artificial turf causes abrasions and/or burns to a much greater extent than natural grass. This is an issue for some sports: for example, football in which sliding maneuvers are common and clothing does not fully cover the limbs. However, with some third-generation artificial grasses, this is almost completely eliminated by the use of polyethylene yarn.
- Artificial turf tends to be much hotter than natural grass when exposed to the sun.
The San Diego Union Tribune – “Fake Grass is a Hot Issue” – Read the Article.